Outdoor Power Equipment
As a landscaper or horticulturist, the use of outdoor power equipment is something that is common. This is because they work faster and more efficiently than manual equipment. People also tend to use less energy with these powered equipment as compared to the manual equipment or tools. Below are some of the power tools that can be used outdoors. They all come equipped for different purposes, whether it is cutting trees, tilling beds or even blowing or vacuuming leaves and other dirt.
Trenchers are used to professionally dig and shape beds and trenches.
This is a tool for boring holes and dislodging stoppages in curved pipes.
- Leaf Blowers and Vacuums
- Backpack blowers
- String trimmers
- Lawn edging
- Hedge trimmers
- Chainsaw parts
- Water pumps
Top Rated Chainsaw Reviews
Best Gas-Powered Chainsaw
Husqvarna 460 Rancher
This is an all-round saw that works where more power is needed for a longer guide bar. It comes with a powerful X-Torq engine with the body designed to easily handle the power. This saw also comes with Smart Start, Air Injection, LowVib and combined choke/stop control.
- Side-mounted chain tensioner for easy access
- 20-Inch Bar
- Quick release air filter to facilitate cleaning and replacement of air filter
- Forged 3-piece crankshaft for maximum durability for the toughest applications
- CARB Compliant
Best Battery Powered Chainsaw
EGO Power+ 14-Inch Cordless Chain Saw
The EGO Power+ Chain Saw is a 14-inch bar and chain. It comes with a high-efficiency brushless motor that ensures effortlessly smooth cuts. The brushless motor extends the life and run time of the machine. The advanced EGO Power+ 56V ARC Lithium battery uses industry-leading technology to deliver maximum power and is compatible with all EGO Power+ products.
- 0ah and 2.5ah 56-volt lithium-ion battery kits available
- standard charger included in kits
- water resistant construction
- low kickback chain design (complies with ansib175.1)
- .043 in. gauge chain with 3/8 in. low pro pitch
- reversible bar
- chain kickback brake
- chain tension adjustment
- 5-year tool warranty
- 3-year battery warranty (kits only)
Best Electric Chainsaw
GreenWorks 20222 9 Amp 14-Inch Corded
This is a zero emission chainsaw with a 14-inch blade and should not be used as an industrial saw. It comes with an easy electric start that is a push button, meaning that you don’t have to yank a chord. It also comes with many safety features such as a comfortable wraparound handle with a debris guard that blocks wood chips from hurting hands. The chainsaw also comes with an automatic chain oiler which keeps the chainsaw operating smoothly and helps to prevent any unexpected jerking motions. The only downside about this saw is that it has a chord.
- 9-amp electric motor starts within seconds for ease of use and reliable power
- 14-Inch bar makes clean up jobs a breeze
- Tool-Less chain tensioning for quick adjustments so you can get back to the task at hand
- Wrap around handle provides user comfort while clearing debris
- Auto-Oiler provides adequate lubrication to ensure the best cutting performance without the hassle
Best Under $250
Husqvarna 240 2 HP Chainsaw
The Husqvarna 240 16-Inch saw is ideal for jobs like pruning, lighter cutting tasks and hobby work. Easy to start and operate, thanks to built-in Husqvarna features like ergonomic design, facilitating technology and powerful X-Torq engine with low emissions.
- 16-inch bar
- 2 HP, 38 cc engine
- 3/8-inch pitch, .050-inch gauge
- Side-mounted chain tensioner
- Combined choke/stop control
Best Over $400
Echo CS-590 20″ Timber Wolf Chain Saw
This is a well-oiled chainsaw with a 20-inch blade. This is a very reliable model that kicks off at the first pull. It also comes with a 5-year warranty, which is a great deal basing on its price range. It comes with built-in anti-vibe technology that will make the cutting process a lot more comfortable. This chainsaw comes with all the features to expect on chainsaws, including an automatic chain oiler.
- Genuine OEM Echo part
- 8cc professional-grade, 2-stroke engine for outstanding performance
- 20″ Bar
- Decompression valve for easier starter rope pulling
Most Environmentally Friendly Chainsaw
GreenWorks 20312 G-MAX Zero Emission Cordless
GreenWorks are taking their Lithium-Ion technology to the next level and giving you the gas comparable alternative chainsaw solution you have been looking for with up to 30% more torque and up to 70% less vibration than gas powered chainsaws. GreenWorks NEW G-MAX 16-inch DigiPro Chainsaw is powered with innovative brushless technology allowing for longer life, greater efficiency and less noise with more torque, making this the first battery powered chainsaw that can replace your gas. The perfect chainsaw for users of all experience, whether it is your first time or a veteran this chainsaw features a heavy duty Oregon bar and chain, .0375 chain pitch, chain brake, metal bucking spikes and an automatic oiler to make this easy to use while providing the high performance needed to get your yard work done quickly and efficiently. Once you have tried the new DigiPro Chainsaw you will not want to go back to mixing gas and oil.
- Premium Power of DigiPro brushless motor technology cuts up to 100 cuts on a single charge. Includes 4AH Battery and Charger
- Compatible with GreenWorks G-MAX 40V Li-Ion System offering a range of tools to choose from
- Brushless motor delivers up to 30% more torque for the greatest cutting performance
- Brushless motor design offers up to 70% less vibration for user comfort while working
- Chain brake and low kickback chain for increased user safety
Best Pole Saw
Black & Decker LPP120 20V Lithium Ion Pole Saw
The Black & Decker Bare 20V MAX Lithium Ion Pole Pruning Saw is an excellent tool, designed for pruning overhead tree branches up to 14ft high. This bare-tool is compatible with 20V MAX Lithium Ion battery which provides with a longer lifespan and 5X longer charge than similar NiCd batteries. It has an 8″ cutting bar and chain that allows for a maximum cutting diameter of 6″. The center extension allows for a useable length of 6.5′ or 10′ and provides overhead reach of up to 14 feet. This unit also features an in-line power-head allows easy maneuverability and visibility between branches. Unit disassembles for easy transport. Perfect for transporting to the worksite. The lightweight design makes it easy to use.
- Extension allows for a useable length of 6-1/2 or 10 feet; overhead reach of up to 14 feet
- Powered by 20-volt MAX lithium-ion battery, with longer lifespan and charge retention than NiCad batteries
- Up to 100 cuts of 1-1/2-inch pine branches per charge
- 8-inch cutting bar and chain allows for a maximum cutting diameter of 6 inches
- 2-year limited warranty; includes battery and Energy Star-qualified charger
- Power Source: battery powered
Best Jaw Saw
WORX WG320 Max Lithium Cordless Jaw Saw
The WORX WG320 cordless lithium powered JawSaw does a little bit of everything, whether it is pruning limbs, clearing storm debris, or cut kindling for fire wood. The unique design enables one to make cuts directly on the ground without kickback or damaging the chain. The JawSaw is the safe and easy way to tackle debris clean up without gas, cords, or dangerous kickback. It is the perfect go-to tool for gardeners, handymen, and anyone else who performs limb and brush clearing.
- Guard covers chain for enhanced safety
- Steel teeth hold work in place while cutting for stability
- Auto-Tension feature sets the proper tension
- Automatic chain oiler with oil level indicator
- Scissor cut action limits dangerous kickback
These are some of the best chainsaws that you can find on the market. When purchasing them, also remember to by other safety things such as helmets, gloves and chainsaw chaps. Check out this homepage for more information regarding these chainsaws.
The Dangers of Termites to Landscapers
Termites can look harmless, but the danger that they pose to our homes can be quite the opposite. They are known to cause immense dangers to buildings and even some of the plants in our landscapes. It is therefore important for us to flag them early and exterminate them from your property. These are insects that make their ways into our homes and set up camp there, and the worst part is that they can go unnoticed for years such that by the time one is realizing, it’s almost too late to salvage the damage. The worst part is that when you have a termite invasion, you’re dealing with a whole colony, and that means very many termites. This actually means that they could be tens of thousands of termites that are chewing through the woodwork in your home. It is therefore very important to take the necessary precautions to avoid such a thing from happening. That is when you have to start thinking about residential fumigation. We are going to look at the process that one can go through in the event of a termite invasion.
Initial Inspection and Getting an Estimate
When you first see signs of termites or even suspect that they are there, the first thing that most people would do is to call up a professional pest control service so that they can check it out. Most professional services won’t charge for the inspection and once this has been done, depending on the level of the infestation, the type of termites, the amount of damage and the size of the compound or property, they will give you the cost estimate. The property will then be fumigated and the cost will be anywhere between $1 to $4 per square foot, which will average $3,000 per 1,500 square feet. This might sound like a scary amount for most home owners but failure to take action could lead to greater damage. During the fumigation, a tent will be put around your house and secured to the ground so that the toxic fumes don’t cause harm to the surroundings.
Additional Costs During the Fumigation
During the fumigation process, your home will be tented and you might have to spend anywhere between 3 to 7 days, somewhere else. This is purely for your health and safety, and this might mean additional costs. The bills could go even higher if there are many family members that one has to pay for at a hotel during the period of the fumigation. If you have pets, the choice of hotels will automatically become limited since not many hotels allow pets, and the cost is also bound to go higher. There is also the fact that you’ll have to eat at restaurants, which is a lot more expensive than cooking. To reduce the costs, you could carry your appliances, such as microwaves, blenders, toaster ovens, sandwich grills, slow cookers, with you, as well as foods that you can cook with those appliances.
After the Fumigation: Repairs and Preventative Measures
When the fumigation period is over and you go back home, there could still be additional costs, if the termites had done a lot of damage. You would have to start repairing the damage, and this could translate to thousands of dollars. In many instances, it could even be cheaper to rebuild instead of repairing, especially in the case of things like severely damaged patios. In such an event, it is important to ask your insurance agent (if your property is insured) if the policy covers termite damage. As a matter of fact, look for an insurance company that covers termite damage, just to be on the safe side, and if you’re concerned with future infestations.
Termites are a major problem and you’re required to take action quickly, but eliminating them comes with extra costs, and you must be prepared to buffer them. Below is a list of some of the things that you might spend on:
- Shelter – staying with extended family or renting hotel rooms.
- Food – providing you and your family with meals for the fumigation period.
- Pet Care – paying for additional rent expenses or deposits, while providing them food, water, and care.
- Transportation – additional gas usage when driving to work or to school.
- Future Repairs – fixing the damage caused by termites and preventing future infestations.
Those are some of the reasons why you need to look at the issue of termite elimination from several angles, because just the way that they chew their way through your walls, the repairs chew right through your wallet. It is very important that you spot the termites early before too much damage is done, as this could bring down the costs.
Security Systems for Your Garden
Most home owners do a lot to protect their homes from burglaries. They invest in alarm systems, CCTV cameras and much more in order to increase security but what do they do about garden security? By the time someone enters your property you are already at risk, especially since there are often so many places in the yard where someone can hide away before attacking you. Here are great security tips for a safer garden.
Get wireless surveillance and alarm system
A wireless surveillance and alarm system like the Arlo Pro Security System is the perfect solution for improved garden security. These wireless cameras can be attached to a home or even a tree without any hassles since it is completely wireless. The cameras are weatherproof and come with rechargeable batteries as well as built in microphones that makes 2 way audio possible.
Get solar powered lights with motion sensors
Good lighting is incredibly important for garden security. Solar powered lights won’t contribute to an expensive electricity bill and when you add motion sensors to the lights or invest in solar powered motion sensor lights you greatly improve your general garden security since you can easily spot when someone is messing about in the back yard.
Get a trained guard dog
A good guard dog is one of the best ways to keep your family safe. Look for a trainer and ask about purchasing a trained guard dog to keep your yard and children just a little bit safer during the day and night.
Invest in a remote operated gate
Most home owners are at their most vulnerable when they have to climb out of the vehicle to open the gate. Auto gate systems are a must for improved garden safety because the home owner, friends and family members can open and close the gates with the simple click of a remote button.
Get a remote operated garage door
The garage door should also be remote operated so residents can park directly inside of the garage without getting out of the car. This greatly boosts security and functionality since garage doors are often so heavy.
Home and gate intercom
Arlo security cameras contain 2 way audio systems which make them perfect for property access control since home owners can communicate with the person at the gate before letting him or her in. A gate intercom is also a great solution.
Create a safe garden
Your garden’s design can also contribute to safety. It is important to keep your garden clean, to keep brushes pruned and to invest in garden plant’s that won’t provide criminals with hiding places. The garden should also be neat and tidy at all times so you can easily identify when something is out of place.
The safest walls
Consider your garden walling carefully before you start building. There are quite a bit of arguments going on over the safest walling solution. Is it safer to invest in railings where you can easily spot invaders? Or is it perhaps better to build a strong wall so no one can see the contents of your yard? Do a bit of research on the topic and decide what is best for your own personal situation.
Transform the Looks of Your House in A Small Budget
Living in the same house for years is no doubt exasperating. Looking at the same walls, floors, and roof make your life monotonous. Therefore, people like to move out their houses to elite areas and experience elegant looks from time to time. However, everybody cannot enjoy this privilege!
Everyone is not wealthy enough to move out the house after some time to a new locality. The second choice these people avail is to revamp the house. They change the looks of the house from the scratch and make it look just like a new one. Nonetheless, this requires you to pay a lot and breaks the bank.
The last but not the least option you have got when you have a small budget is of bringing some minor changes to your house. You can do that by using various DIY ideas in your house. Read some of the easiest ways to bring some astonishing modifications to your home:
- Change the way your garden looks:
If your garden is at the front, you require bringing some changes to its looks. That is vital to any person who enters the house puts a glance on the garden first and makes the first impression immediately. If the garden is unkempt and untidy, the impression made in his mind is surely not a good one.
If you have a large garden, you can always get your hands on Portable reels that look good and put them anywhere in your garden. It would give an instant uplift to the looks of your house. Hose reel cart is also an item to be placed in the garden to make it look chic and different than before. In case, you might break any of these reels, getting these fixed is not a big problem. If you are worried about it, you can do it yourself easily by visiting www.gardentoolscenter.com. You can also buy some of the best reels for your garden from this website.
- Paint the house:
When it comes to enhancing the looks of the house without paying too much for it, you can go ahead and paint your house yourself. It requires a little time and little exhaustion. If you think you won’t need to paint the entire house, you can just paint the front of the house, and it will automatically change the looks of the house immediately. The front door can be painted in a several ways. Bring a bright hue to the front of your house through the door, and you will experience an instant change in the overall looks of the place you reside!
- Use spray paints:
Improving the appearance of the house can also be done with the spray paint that is easily available and is quite cost effective. There are various colors available in these spray paint, and you can get your hands on as many of them as you like. In addition to that, you can use different ideas and add numerous designs to the front door. Likewise, it can be done on the windows of your house, and you can transform the way they look instantly.
- Add rugs and cushions to your house:
When it comes to paying less but bringing great changes to the looks of your house, you can do that in a plenty of ways. The easiest way to do that is by buying rugs of various colors and textures and adding them to various parts of the house. Along with the rugs, you can also buy multicolored cushions and arrange them in your house at various places, especially in the TV lounge. In addition, adorning the walls with a number of photo frames and paintings brings color to your house at a low price!
Landscaping Your Tennis Court
Just like any part of the home, a tennis court should be landscaped too. Not only will it make it more appealing and beautiful but will also give you the urge to go out and do tennis. If a place has been beautifully made and manicured, it will make you to always want to go there and spend some time hence will make you play the game more which is good for your body. Many people focus on many aspects of the home and forget about the court. The following should be kept in mind of you are considering landscaping a tennis court in your home:
Choose a good landscaping design
As much as it is a tennis court and is expected that one design will be used, there are many designs that can be used on landscaping the tennis court. Getting a design you can either visit other tennis courts to get inspiration, get creative or get suggestions from your landscaper. With the change in digital age, everything has been made way simpler, and with Pinterest, Houzz and the internet in general you can get a million ideas of inspiration that you can use.
The available space that you can use for landscaping your tennis court is what will affect the kind of design you can use. The design you use can either make it smaller or bigger hence the design should be chose according to the amount of space available.
Choose the right person
As much as you may have the right space and the right design in mind, your mission will not be successful without the right person. The right person will bring out the best from what you give him. Most people prefer going for renowned landscaping companies but you can opt for an individual as well. It is now easy to get reviews about the services offered by a company which will help you in making a decision. Working with a referral is even way better because you are sure of their job.
Landscaping can really get pricey, though this depends on many factors. Different companies and different landscapers have different charges and this is dependent on the kind of services they offer. No matter what your budget is, you can always get a service that fits in the budget. You should however make sure that whatever service you go for is able to give you value for money.
Even though you may take care of the court to enjoy the game more, there are other factors that should still be kept in mind. This includes the kind of tennis ball you have. You can either go for buying high quality tennis balls or making the balls yourself. To make tennis balls, you need the best tennis ball machine to make sure you are able to make the best. The safety measures that you take while playing the game also goes a long way to make sure you enjoy the game more.
Lawn Mowing Tips
We all know the first secret to good lawn mowing is to pick out the best lawn mower. Once you have mastered that step, only then you can apply these tips to make the best use of it for your lawn. But how do you choose the best lawn mower? This is what you should figure out before you spend your hard earned money on it. You will find detailed reviews and product features listed on Lawnmower Lane which will help you plan your purchase and to pick the lawnmower that is best suited to your needs.
Once you have bought the best one that is out there, these tips will help you!
- PLAN YOUR ATTACK
Your father says the best way to cut a lawn is to trim the edges to start with, which returns the clippings to the grass to be mulched by the trimmer. He’s not wrong, but rather you can likewise cut first and afterward trim, which exploits the trimmer’s vast slicing zone to lessen time spent trimming. Pick one approach so you don’t waste your time swapping tools.
- CUT A WIDE COLLAR
We’re not talking dress shirts here. The neckline is the outskirt that you cut first around the grass’ border. Sliced it sufficiently wide to transform the cutter around without crashing into a flower bed.
- NO BUZZ CUT, PLEASE
Scalping is the grisly term for cutting way too short. It can leave terrible dark colored patches in ranges of uneven ground and strain root frameworks. This prompts weeds getting through the turf as told by Pat Callahan, chief of grounds, landscaping, and turf at Delaware Valley College in Doylestown, Pennsylvania. Cool-season grasses are sliced to 2½ to 3½ inches; warm-season grass is sliced to 1 to 3 inches.
- WATCH YOUR SPEED
Going too fast can cause damage to your garden. This is especially valid with tall or wet grass, which opposes a quick cut. In any case, even in dry conditions, a rushed job leads to uneven shearing and deserts bunches of inadequately mulched clippings.
- DON’T LOOK DOWN
Why should you not look down? Because you’ll mow straighter in the event that you center around 10 feet in front of the cutter as opposed to specifically at the wheels.
- BAG THE BAGGING
Grabbing clippings keeps them from getting followed into the house, however mulching as you cut puts the grass particles over into the turf, giving supplements, for example, nitrogen to the dirt. You’ll end up with turf that is better looking and healthier.
- KEEP CHANGING THE PATTERN
Grass leans towards the direction in which you cut it. Changing up your pattern from week to week urges grass to grow straighter as well as healthier.
- TRIM AMBIDEXTROUSLY
A run of the mill straight-shaft string-trimmer head turns counterclockwise and is worked ideal to left. This implies, in case you’re right-hand, you’ll sit idle walking sideways or in reverse. Get a handle on the trimmer handle with your left hand so you can just walk forward and make a cleaner job of it. You’ll think that its quicker, more secure, and less tiring to trim along these lines.
- EDGE AND TRIM AT ONCE
Try not to trim and edge in partitioned trips. Take a look at your property and find a consistent way you can take after to trim and edge in one go. This takes care of business rapidly without backtracking.
3 Woodworking Projects to Try In Your Garden This Summer
Now the summer months are upon us, it’s a great opportunity to start on those woodworking tasks you’ve been putting off all year so you can enjoy them in your garden. In this guide, we’ve pooled our mastery and come up these main woodworking projects, all different and versatile – whether you’re an experienced woodworker or woodworking newcomer. Read them and let us know which project you will be working on in your garden this year!
Birdhouses are an awesome method for drawing in nature into your garden while giving you a fun woodwork project. Building a birdhouse can be planned around your level of expertise and range from exceptionally essential aviaries to expand outlines, making this woodcraft appropriate for apprentices and an incredible method for beginning woodworking as a hobby. There are likewise a lot of free layouts accessible online to make planning your birdhouse considerably simpler or on the other hand give you some motivation for outlining your own. This project likewise enables you to try different things with various finishes as they can be enriched anyway you pick. For this project, ensure that you make use of the best available saw for cutting the wood. You can go on this page to check out reviews of different miter saws as well as buying guides that could help you save time as well as money. There are various reviews on the website as well that will help you narrow down your choices reading reviews from first-hand users.
An assortment of woods can be utilized for this venture and you can pick a wood which best suits your financial plan however sturdiness should be contemplated as the wood needs to withstand the climate. Birdhouses can likewise be helpful for using scrap wood from different activities, yet be mindful so as not to utilize artificially regarded woods as these could cause harm to the birds.
Raised Garden Beds
Raised beds help provide proper drainage and an obstruction to slugs and other garden pests making them perfect to develop your own particular produce. Building raised beds yourself is generally straightforward and less fiddly than smaller ventures, for example, birdhouse. To make this project marginally simpler you can buy premade corner supports to disentangle the development procedure. Normally rot resistant woods are prescribed for this project to prevent decay, sorts of cedar are typically viewed as the most appropriate. In the event that you utilize your garden beds for producing fresh produce check the wood has not been artificially or chemically treated as this may have a negative impact on your produce.
Building a bench requires somewhat more aptitude as it should be constructed precisely to be sufficiently durable to hold weight to be used. This project again can be modified to best suit your level of woodworking, for example, including backs or arm rests or just making a stool style bench. Rot resistant and solid woods are best for this venture, for example, cedar, redwood, acacia and cypress, benchs can likewise be recolored or painted to suit your own style.
Why Movies Choose Places With Good Landscaping
We all love beautiful scenery, whether it is living there or seeing it. Landscaping is one of the main ways that has been used to increase the beauty and feel of a place and that is why movies choose places with a good landscaping background. Some of the main reasons movies are obsessed with good landscaping includes:
A movie with a good landscaping background shows the value of the place is higher. It will make the place look more classy and expensive as opposed with no landscaping. It is therefore cheaper too just go to a place with good landscaping but looks more classy and expensive than to actually go to an expensive and classy site which may be expensive for production.
Acting in a good landscaping background helps to cut down on the heating and cooling costs and thus helps in cutting down on the cost of producing the movie.
We are all obsessed with health as we all know health is wealth. If it’s a health related movie they will chose a green place with good landscaping to match the theme. A green environment will reflect a cleaner home free from pollutants and can help in decreasing the stress levels.
Shooting the movie in a green and good landscaping set up not only provides privacy but can also help in reducing the stress levels which may help the movie to come out better.
With choosing a location with good landscaping, the movie producers are sure the chances of environmental degradation getting in the way are reduced. The chances of flooding, pollution, soil erosion among others are reduced when shooting a movie hence one is assured the movie production will commence well as opposed to shooting on areas with no landscaping.
A green and well landscaped environment helps to reduce noise and heat during movie production and hence has an influence on how well the movie will turn out. It will provide a good scene for scenes that need relaxing and entertaining. Landscaping also increases the green buffer zone that makes a high density environment to have a less feel to it. Therefore if you want to shoot a movie in a high density environment but you don’t really want to feel it then landscaping is the secret.
There are many other reasons why great movies go for landscaping scenes. Even though the movie may have a different set up for example an action movie it will still have scenes that require landscaping. It is no wander that some movies with great protagonists such as Stephen Collins all have great landscaping and has been all time favorite for many. Not only do the characters come into play when it comes to a movie but the environment has a big influence on how far it will go. Good thing is that there are many places with good landscaping that can be hired so you don’t have to worry about doing the landscaping yourself.
Things in Your Home That Should be Clean
Well, like the saying goes, cleanliness is next to godliness, and that is one of the reasons why we should always ensure that our homes are in tip top condition. There are certain things in our homes that we should always keep an eye on, and we are going to list some of them below.
Windows, and not just the glass
Most people will only ever clean the glass of their windows, forgetting the crevices and other parts that collect dirt.
Deep clean the carpet
Deep cleaning the carpet at least once a year is yet another point. The best time to do this would probably be spring. There are many professional cleaning services, although one could opt to do it on their own.
Toss out old stuff in the refrigerator and pantry
Clear out the old food from the refrigerator and wipe clean the shelves and sides. Do the same for the pantry. You can do this monthly for the refrigerator and probably quarterly for the pantry.
Replace dirty filters since they can keep the home dirty
Dirty air and furnace filters hold dirt in them and depending on the furnace or vents, times for changing them could vary.
Clean the winter out of the garage
Clean the mud and salt brought into the garage by your vehicles. Also put away any winter gear such as shovels and sleds, instead bringing out the ones that you might need such as lawn mowers.
Doorknobs and light switches need love too
Doorknobs and light switches are some of the things that people rarely take into consideration and yet they are very important. Warm water and dish soap can do the work for you perfectly.
Clean the things you don’t typically clean
These include the aforementioned windows, but also window blinds, light fixtures, forgettable edges and corners.
Since we are in the topic of cleanliness, I would also like to touch on some of the highly-recommended vacuum cleaners that you can use to ensure that your home is clean. We are going to list them here so that you can find the one that will suit your needs. These vacuum cleaners come highly recommended by the Carpet & Rug Institute (CRI). Under this program, manufacturers must meet high performance standards and are rewarded with Bronze, Silver or Gold ratings. These ratings measure vacuum performances on carpets that is divided into 3 categories as mentioned below:
- Carpet texture protection – The vacuum must not affect the texture of the commercial cut pile carpet more than a one-step change based on one year of normal vacuum use.
- Carpet soil removal – measurement of the precise amount of soil removed from carpet.
- Dust containment – The vacuum must not release more than 100 micrograms of dust particles per cubic meter of air (35 micrograms for Gold Level).
Performance Standards for each level are:
- Bronze – 40-49% soil removal, dust containment ≤ 100 µg/m³ of dust particles.
- Silver – 50-54% soil removal, dust containment ≤ 100 µg/m³ of dust particles.
- Gold – ≥ 55% soil removal, dust containment ≤ 35 µg/m³ of dust particles.
Maytag M1200 Upright – Best Vacuum for Carpet and Hard Floors
The Maytag M1200 Upright is the highest priced vacuum in the ones we are reviewing, but it offers by far the best carpet performance. It features a patented MO2OR Dual Intake System that comes with 2 separate motors: a clean air motor and a direct air motor. This results in continuous suction and maximum agitation for exceptional cleaning performance – not just on carpets but on bare floors as well. In addition, the vacuum features a hose and on-board tools, which you won’t find on any of the other CRI Gold Standard vacuums in this review.
- MO2OR dual intake cleaning system provides strong and continuous suction and agitation.
- Pet Hair Purr-fect cleaning performance easily picks up pet hair and dander.
- Six-stage HEPA filtration system including charcoal odor filtration.
- Large self-sealing dirt bag (4.95 quarts).
- Simply press a button to transfer between vacuuming carpets and bare floors.
- 35 ft. cord length.
- 6 to 1 Stretch hose, telescopic wand and 3 on-board tools provide an additional 17ft cleaning radius.
- Durable build quality with metal brush roll and bottom plate component.
- LED Headlight.
- 6 height adjustments.
- Weight – 21.5lbs.
- Warranty – 5-yr bumper to bumper, Lifetime on belt.
- Highly recommended for asthma and allergy sufferers due to the completely sealed HEPA filtration system.
- Ideal for homes with difficult to remove pet hair due to the Maytag’s ultimate cleaning power.
- Tackles pet hair with ease and doesn’t clog up unlike other vacuum brands.
- Designed and engineered to last a long time, made in the USA.
- Effortless to use despite its weight. Its agronomical design means it requires minimal exertion.
- Lays completely flat for cleaning under furniture.
- The stretch hose is long and reaches right across the room.
- It is the heaviest in this vacuum review although this is common in high performance vacuums.
- No auto cord rewind.
- Carpet height adjustment could be easier to use.
- Ongoing cost of replacement bags
Soniclean Soft Carpet Upright – Best Vacuum for Shag Carpet and Other Soft-Style Carpets
This German made vacuum that many may not have heard of comes with a patented vibration technology that sets them apart from all other vacuums in the marketplace. According to tests conducted, the Soniclean has more suction and cleans better than the most expensive vacuums on the market today such as Dyson, Oreck and Shark.
- Adjustable vent system to allow easy maneuvering on soft style carpet.
- Designed specifically for use on Soft Style Carpets as well as regular pile and Berber type carpeting.
- The special soft nylon brush roll bristles clean thoroughly and are extremely gentle on your Soft Style or Berber Carpeting.
- Extra-large front wheels allow the Soft Carpet vacuum to “float” on the carpet surface for easy maneuverability.
- Sonic Cleaning Technology – loosens then sucks up ground-in dirt, pet hair and deep-down dust.
- 5 liter HEPA Filter dust bag, designed to last 6-8 weeks, depending on your vacuuming needs.
- 2 separate modes for cleaning.
- 35ft power cord with quick release cord holder.
- 2 amps’ motor & green technology – uses 50% less electricity than many full-sized vacuums.
- Weight 8lbs.
- 5-year motor warranty and 1 year parts warranty. Lifetime warranty on vacuum belt.
- Lightweight and easy to push on soft thick carpet.
- Strong suction and sonic vibrations provide deep cleaning of carpets.
- best vacuum for name-brand soft style carpets such as Caress®, SmartStrand®, Silk®, and Soft Spring®.
- Vacuum has no attachments – consider the Soniclean Upright /Handheld Combo
- No auto cord rewind.
- Ongoing cost of replacement bags.
Oreck Lw100 Magnesium Sp Bagged Upright – Best Lightweight Vacuum for Carpets
This is a light, full-powered upright vacuum cleaner that comes with two speed control, making great for different carpets. The patented Saniseal system also ensures that changing bags is effortless. This CRI Gold Level certified vacuum comes with a 7-year warranty!
- Ultra-lightweight Magnesium SP vacuum frame is stronger than many types of steel.
- Two speeds – high speed great for carpets and low speed gentler for oriental and Persian rugs.
- HEPA Inner Bag captures at least 99.97% of particles at .3 microns from the air passing through it, including pollen, mold, dust and animal dander.
- Large wheels enable super maneuverability on carpet
- 30ft manual wind cord
- Long-lasting Endurolife belt
- Saniseal bag disposal system – automatically seals shut and locks in dirt
- Side brushes make cleaning up against baseboards and edges easy.
- 5 amps’ motor and direct suction
- Weight approximately 7.7lbs
- 7-year limited warranty and 3 annual tune ups.
- Amazingly lightweight & self-propelled – makes for effortless carpet cleaning.
- great at picking up dirt and pet fur on all piles of carpet, oriental rugs and hard floors.
- lays virtually flat for easy cleaning under furniture.
- bag seals itself so there is no mess – good for allergy sufferers.
- automatically shuts off if something gets stuck.
- specifically suited to Mohawk SmartStrand Silk carpet.
- Vacuum has no attachments
- No auto cord rewind
- Ongoing cost of replacement bags
Panasonic Mc-Cl945 Plush Pro Bagless – Best Canister Vacuum for Carpets
It comes with features such as a retractable cord and tools and accessories. It comes with an air Infusion technology in the power nozzle for deep cleaning. It is light and easy to carry.
- JetForce™ Technology cyclonic suction provides powerful cleaning of carpet.
- Powerful 12-amp motor.
- HEPA filtration traps millions of micro particles and eliminates harmful allergens, irritants and pollutants.
- Bagless design provides hassle free emptying of the detachable dirt container.
- Air Infusion power vacuum nozzle provides deep cleaning of all carpet types (including super soft).
- Good 360° maneuverability with JetTurn radius design.
- Gliding pet brush provides easy removal of pet hair from furniture, carpets and floors.
- Retractable cord for quick and easy storage.
- 24ft power cord.
- 1 year parts and labor warranty.
- Power nozzle is easy to push on deep pile carpet.
- There is a convenient pedal on the power nozzle quickly that lowers the nozzle height for optimum cleaning power on hardwood, laminates and other bare floor surfaces.
- Great at removing pet hair from floors and furniture and deep cleaning carpet.
- light, quiet, compact and easy to maneuver.
- No ongoing costs of buying replacement bags.
- Best for homes with shag carpet or other carpet types rather than homes with all hard floors as there is no hard floor brush included (can be bought separately).
- LED light on the beater brush could be brighter and light the floor up better.
- Only 1 year warranty unlike the other vacuums in the review.
Soniclean Vtplus Vtu-0520 – Best Cheap Vacuum for Carpets
This is the cheapest in the group and comes with a “sonic-cleaning technology,” which involves a bar adjacent to the brushroll that vibrates 200 times per second. It also uses high efficiency, direct-air paramagnetic motor that creates very strong suction for less than half the electricity of some full-size vacuums.
- Freshen while you clean! Includes patented Sonicfresh® fragrance dispensing system.
- Built for power and durability. The direct-air Paramagnetic motor offers superior suction and consistent results.
- Seal-Tech® HEPA filter bags provide 99.97% filtration at 0.3 microns and are long lasting.
- 2 separate modes for cleaning.
- 35ft power cord with quick release cord holder.
- 2 amps’ motor & green technology – uses 50% less electricity than many full-sized vacuums.
- weight 10.5lbs (excluding cord).
- 3-year motor warranty and 1 year parts warranty. Lifetime warranty on vacuum belt.
- Very lightweight & glides easily over carpets.
- Powerful suction.
- Automatically shuts off if something gets stuck.
- Does a great job on my carpeting, but also cleans hard floors.
- Low profile gets under most furniture.
- Best carpet vacuum cleaner in this price category.
- Vacuum has no attachments.
- No auto cord rewind.
- Some users have rated it as noisy.
- Non-pivoting neck – the vacuum only tilts straight up and down
- Ongoing cost of replacement bags
Those are some of the best vacuum cleaners that you can find in the market, and they all rank gold. Choose wisely and also consider the cost vs the performance.
How to Improve the Appearance of The Location of Your Home
Even though you might have already moved to a certain location and you don’t like the place much or you want to alter its appearance, you can still do something to improve the look of your location and make it better. Some of the ways of improving the appearance of your location include:
This is one of the obvious ways of improving the appearance of your home. Flowers have a way of adding beauty to nature. The plants that you will add with landscaping will help in cleaning up the air for more fresh air in the surrounding. Landscaping will go a long way with changing the appearance standards of a place. The good news is that there are low maintenance plants that can also be adopted that are not so demanding if you will you don’t have much time in your hands. If the location is communally owned you can organize with the neighbors and even make duties of doing the landscaping.
Taking care of garbage
There is nothing as bad as living in a littered environment. One of the major factors that can really degrade the appearance of a place is garbage. Garbage is not only ugly but sometimes it smells and may cause a lot of environmental pollution as well. In an environment with kids it may lead to sickness and diseases as kids are sensitive and they like to play outdoors. It is therefore worth taking care of the garbage. Good news is that you don’t have to deal with disposing the garbage yourself if you don’t want to as there are many companies that are committed to taking care of the garbage. They will supply you with skips and will take the skip after a certain period of time depending on the garbage. It may be daily or weekly it depends on your preference.
Maintenance and repairs
The truth is the sooner you do maintenance and repairs the better. If something is well maintained then it means that a repair is done as soon as there is a wear and tear and that also means its likelihood of it falling out is minimal. Lack of well-maintained structures and equipment’s in an area are ugly and become an eye sore. If everything is well maintained somehow it even makes the neighborhood to look better. Any sewers, water pipes, poles among many others should always be fixed as soon as possible.
As much as you may do as much as possible to improve the look of your neighborhood, the city council also has a role to play on that. This basically depends on the kind of city council leaders you have. Luckily, there are some nonprofit organizations that are working to make sure we have the right leaders. An example if Philadelphia 3.0 formerly known as Philly 3.0. It comprises of local business leaders who are making every effort to change the face of the city council.